Continuing Education records
Scope and Contents
The activities of Continuing Education are documented in this collection of administrative materials, correspondence, correspondence course materials, document requests, and program activities, in addition to course bulletin, pamphlet and newsletter publications.
The records are arranged into two record groups FIELD SERVICES DIVISION and CONTINUING EDUCATION with each record group is arranged into three series. Each record group documents the activities of the division or office for which the record group is named and under which the records were created. Materials are alphabetically arranged within each series.
TheFIELD SERVICES DIVISION record group, contains ADMINISTRATIVE FILES which includes annual reports, history of field studies; conference materials; division evaluations; program information; instructors; document requests; proposals; studies; reports and surveys; CORRESPONDENCE COURSE AND STUDY includes differing courses offered which include American and European History; Elements of Economics; German; and World Geography, as well as the student requirements per course enrollment; PUBLICATIONS, includes news clippings; newsletters; and pamphlets.
The CONTINUING EDUCATION record group, contains ADMINISTRATIVE FILES including annual reports; correspondence; course assignments; extended program information; mission statement and policy; PROGRAMMING includes, Adventures in Education; and Lifespan Learning; PUBLICATIONS includes brochures and pamphlets; course bulletins, 1978-2008; news clippings; press releases; and student handbook.
- 1922 - 1977
- Beagan, Dennis (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.
Michigan State Normal College adopted the extension program in 1912, under President Charles McKenny who was acting upon requests from teachers in Bay City, MI. McKenny went to the State Board of Education in 1916 to request special appropriations to carry on an extension program to help train future teachers and allowing them continuing education opportunities after having entered the profession. While the state legislature provided funding for an extension program, it did support funding for the position of Director and offices for the Division of Field Services. Requests for course work came from many differing locales, including Cheboygan, Traverse City, Port Huron and Monroe. Later, the State Board of Education divided the state into four regions serving educators in each region.
Formal organization of the Field Services Division at Michigan State Normal College occurred in 1921 under the leadership of Director Horace E. Wilber with leadership evolving over the years to Dr. Clarence M. Loesell, Carl Hood and Carl R. Anderson.
A Council of Field Service Directors was formed around 1923, which afforded a means for the four regional universities (Eastern, Western, Northern and Central) to work with one another, respecting the policies and administration of their field service operations. Eastern’s Field Services Division programming paralleled the other 3 institutions.
Very few courses were offered in the early years due to low enrolment. By the mid-1950, services expanded and approximately 2,000 students were enrolled in approximately 100 courses per semester. New services were also offered and included alumni relations, duplicating services, speakers and consultants bureau, conferences and workshops, school bus driver training, adult education, and book keeping for campus programs.
The number of new enrollments in correspondence courses trended downward during the 1966-1967 academic year. Contributing to this trend was the decrease in off-campus undergraduate students working toward a baccalaureate degree, and the general belief on the part of faculty and staff that correspondence courses were not desirable and should be discouraged.
Several aforementioned programs were turned over to more appropriate university departments in 1966 and 1967, to benefit the entire University including duplicating services, campus summer workshops, and alumni relations. In 1977, Continuing Education was established, replacing the Field Services Division.
In the 1977-1978 academic year, approximately 140 courses were offered and enrollment exceeded 3,000 students. Course offerings shifted from a focus in Graduate Studies to a greater emphasis in Undergraduate Studies in an effort to gain enrollment.
By the early 1980s, Continuing Education increased their technological parameters by joining the Southeast Michigan Educational Television consortium to offer broadcast lectures via the Educational Television Network.
Coursework was offered across the curriculum and taught with the same parameters as those courses available on campus. By 1984, course work was developed for distance learning, which included certificate programs and weekend classes in an effort to address the needs of the non-traditional student.
Dr. Paul McKelvey, Dean of Continuing Education, oversaw the growth of the program, which quadrupled from 3,700 students to over 10,000. By 1988, EMU boasted one of the 15 best weekend universities in the nation; it was the only Continuing Education program in southeast Michigan to offer computer seminars on both Macintosh and PC; and included hundreds of off-campus courses at satellite locations in Flint, Jackson, Birmingham, and Monroe; as well as continuing to offer correspondence courses. Also, at this time, the Board of Regents approved a plan for Continuing Education under which all expenses (instructional and administrative) would be covered by program tuition, and other fees.
Program offerings were expanded for the 1996-1997 academic year, whereas current programs were expanded and new programs were added which included a Master of Science Nursing Program in Flint and Jackson; Traverse City programs were expanded by 30 new offerings; and an information security class was now offered in Washington D.C.; this development built upon the already established foundation of successful programs. At the same time, Continuing Education was divided into two entities, Credit and Non-Credit, and a shift of programs including Academic Programs Abroad to the World College and the Elderwise Program to the College of Health and Human Services allowed resources to be freed and other educational opportunities created.
Today, Continuing Education offers courses throughout Michigan, including Brighton, Livonia, Detroit, Flint, Traverse City, Monroe, and Lapeer as well as through EMU-Online. Undergraduate, Graduate, Doctoral, Certificates, and Special degrees are offered in a wide variety of courses including Business Administration, Construction Management, Dietetics, Nursing, Pubic Administration, Educational Leadership, Health Administration, and Technology Management.
2.5 Linear Feet (2 record center cartons, 1 archive box, and 1 object. )
Language of Materials
The Continuing Education records span from 1922-2008; materials are comprised primarily of administrative files, correspondence, correspondence course and study curriculum, course offerings, and publications. Materials were generated by the Division of Field Services founded in 1921, later renamed the office of Continuing Education in 1977-78. Continuing Education was established as a result of practicing teachers seeking to extend their classroom knowledge in all facets of subject material from across the state of Michigan. The program is now known as the Extended Programs and Educational Outreach Office.
- Continuing Education records
- Records for the Field Services Division
- Leslie Van Veen
- 2012 February 2
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note