Conservatory of Music photographic collection
The Conservatory of Music photographic collection includes scrapbooks that documents the activities and events of the Conservatory using clippings, flyers and concert programs as well as composites. Records date from 1892-1936.
- 1892 - 1936
Conditions Governing Access
Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.
The Conservatory of Music at Michigan State Normal College taught all students insterested in the study of music. It was established in 1880 by then President Malcolm MacVicar to enhance the reputation of the department. The Conservatory provided many performance opportunities for student recitals and concerts. The Conservatory was meant to support itself by fees charged at these events. Four year long courses were offered from the Conservatory in piano, vocal, violin, harmony and pipe organ. Private lessons were offered to the citizens of Ypsilanti, who were also allowed to share their talents in the music ensembles. The Conservatory of Music was re-named the Music Department in 1955.
6 Linear Feet (3 clamshell boxes, 1 oversize item)
Language of Materials
- Conservatory of Music photographic collection
- Elizabeth Searls
- 2014 February 13
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Eastern Michigan University Archives Repository
Bruce T. Halle Library, Room 310
955 West Circle Drive
Ypsilanti Michigan 48197