Library Science Division of the College of Education records
Scope and Contents
The activities of the Library Science Division of the College of Education are documented in this record group of program activities, correspondence, course proposals, curriculum guides, directories, Library Science Club actions and happenings, including finances and photographs, in addition to newsletters and pamphlet publications. The collection is arranged in three series ADMINISTRATIVE FILES, includes alumni information; course proposals and requests; student directory, 1951-1973; graduate program proposals; and summer courses offered, LIBRARY SCIENCE CLUB includes administrative records; constitution, campus rules and regulations; finances; and campus activities, PUBLICATIONS includes the alumni newsletter written by Margaret M. Robinson and Francis Cook, 1955-1973; news clippings, and pamphlets. Materials are alphabetically arranged within the series.
- 1937 - 1984
- Majority of material found within 1959 - 1974
- Eastern Michigan University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.
Library Science at Eastern Michigan College (EMC) grew out of a need for more librarians; in the early 1940s Elise A. Andrews, university librarian, was instrumental in establishing the program. Classes were taught by Andrews, Ms. Rosetereter, Mr. Cleveringa, and others who filled in for teaching elementary and high school organization.
When Andrew retired from EMC in 1952, Margaret M. Robinson was promoted from Roosevelt School Librarian to Professor of the Library Science program. It was Robinson's ambition to teach in a library school and she was a driving force in having the EMC Library Science degree be an outstanding program from its inception.
Library Science became its own department in 1952, and completely reorganized to become a division of the College of Education, however; offices and classes were still located in the University Library. Curriculum included courses in library in the school; library materials; advanced reference; organization of the school library; audio-visual aids; and the history of books. By 1955, the program had approximately 40 full-time students enrolled. Programming was revised in 1960 to meet the new American Library Association (ALA) undergraduate standards.
Students in the program were welcome to participate in the Library Club student organization. The club hosted teas, guest lectures, held an annual book week, and made excursions throughout the state to visit school and city libraries, including the Library of Michigan in Lansing, to help familiarize themselves with the differing types of libraries and to see them in action.
In 1963, a new library building was built behind Goddard Hall and west of the Quirk Theater. Here, the Library Science program had offices, classrooms, and an audio-visual laboratory. Margaret M. Robinson retired from EMU in August of 1968 after almost 32 years of service. The Margaret M. Robinson Scholarship was established to help fund future librarians; first recipient was Joanne Aloe in the spring of 1971. Frances Cook became the new Assistant Professor in 1970, and over 75 students were enrolled in the program. By the early 1980s, enrollment dropped below 10 students, and the University decided to discontinue the program in 1983, after a downsizing effort was put into effect by the Board of Regents.
0.8 Linear Feet (2 archive boxes)
Language of Materials
The Library Science Division of the College of Education records span from 1937-1983, with the bulk of the records dating from 1950-1974. Materials are comprised primarily of administrative files, correspondence, Library Club student organization records, photographs and publications. Materials were generated by the Library Science program founded in 1949, on the campus of Eastern Michigan College, known today as Eastern Michigan University, located in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The Division was housed within the College of Education a reflection of a curriculum that included courses in library in the school; library materials; advanced reference; organization of the school library; audio-visual aids; and the history of books.
- Library Science Division of the College of Education records
- Leslie Van Veen
- 2012 January 26
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note