Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
The Frederick Alexander Music Building records documents the building that officially opened in 1980 to house rehearsal halls, classrooms, practice rooms and music studios for the Music Department. Materials in the collection includes planning documents, blue prints, floor plans, brochures, and promotional materials created for the opening. Records date from 1958 to 1984. The collection does not document the Music and Dance Department or Frederick Alexander.
Frederick Alexander was a Professor of music at Michigan State Normal College from 1909 to 1941. Alexander was a well known organist in Southeastern Michigan. His papers consist primarily of clippings, concert programs and the dedication of the Frederick Alexander Organ. The papers are arranged alphabetically. Records date from 1910 to 2001.
John S. Elwell was a faculty member of the Department of Music at Eastern Michigan University from 1948 to 1975. His papers consist of correspondence, clippings, programs from musical events, and a large collection of sheet music which Elwell accumulated.