Adonijah S. Welch Hall records
Scope and Contents
The Adonijah S. Welch Hall collection spans from 1895 to 2010, with the bulk of the collection dating from 1985-2010. The collection is arranged in two series, Building Specifications and Drawing and Building Rehabilitation. The Building Specifications and Drawings series includes building specification, illustrations, blueprints, floor and elevation plans and drawings. The Building Rehabilitation series includes building facts and information, proposals, reports, corespondence, minutes and agendas and news clippings related to the rehabilitation of Welch Hall.
- 1895 - 2010
Conditions Governing Access
Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.
Welch Hall, designed by Malcomsom and Higginbotham of Detroit, was named after Adonijah S. Welch, the first principal of the university. The building was erected in 1895 and first named Training School Building until being renamed Adonijah S. Welch Hall in 1925. The building was originally used for teacher training and currently houses administrative and executive offices. The building was renovated in 1900, 1909, and 1974 due to class size increases and again in 1988 by Louis G. Redstone Associates, Inc. due to structural decline. Adonijah S. Welch Hall was rededicated March 29, 1987.
17.6 Linear Feet (1 archives box, 1 halfsize box, 1 object, and 6 oversized folders )
Language of Materials
The Adonijah S. Welch Hall collection includes building specifications, illustrations, documents, news clippings, fact sheets, building reports, and building rehabilitation documents. Welch hall was built in 1896 with renovations completed in 1900, 1909, 1974, and 1988. Documents in the collection from 1895 to 2010, with the bulk of materials dating from 1985-1989 during the last building rehabilitation.
- Adonijah S. Welch Hall records
- Tiara Alexander
- 2013 March 22
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description